Posture is the position in which someone holds their body when standing, sitting or lying down. Postural assessments look at your static posture to see if there are any imbalances that could cause or are causing pain and discomfort.
Our postural assessments also include manual tests that check how well your muscles and joints are working together and if there are any imbalances to be corrected.
The body functions at its best when it is in correct posture. When the body is in correct postural alignment, it moves and distributes weight evenly and appropriately allowing the muscles, joints and spine to work together to help us move effortlessly. If something is out of alignment, then injury and pain can occur.
We investigate how your body is moving and functioning. We look for abnormalities and compensations that may have occurred, and we aim to discover and treat the underlying causes.
Benefits may include:
• muscle lengthening and increased flexibility
• keeping bones and joints in the correct postural alignment (to support the muscles)
• a decrease the amount of infrequent wearing of joint surfaces (too much of this could result in arthritis)
• preventing the spine from becoming locked into an irregular position
• preventing strain and overuse of muscles
• preventing backache and other muscular pain
• improving proprioception/balance and weight transference
• improving core stability and muscle balance around the pelvis
Assessment may also help make appropriate footwear choices (for example, running shoes).